20100815

arroz caldo

I'm sick. Actually, I'm quite sick. (Staying in bed, drinking lots of fluids, going to the doctor, etc). I'm home alone today to fend for myself and since the only things that are in my house to eat are left over BBQ and puffy cheetos, I went ahead and made myself 'arroz caldo.' It is the filipino verison of rice congee (rice soup).

Ingredients:

- oil
- 1 1/2 cups of rice
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, bruised
- 1 small onion, chopped
- small piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons of patis (or soy sauce)
- 2 stalks of scallions, chopped
- 6 cups of water

rice

I used a little bit more of the garlic, onion, ginger, and scallions than the recipe called for. I like mine really flavorful!
ginger, garlic, onions, scallions

patis (fish sauce)

I used 4 chicken thighs. I prefer dark meat over white. It's not as dry as chicken breasts plus it's cheaper.
raw chicken thighs

Directions:

- Heat oil in a large saucepan
- Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes (if you are using chicken thighs or other pieces of meat cook the skin side first)
- Add patis, garlic, onion, and ginger. Cook for another 2 minutes
- Add rice and water. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally
- Serve in bowls with scallions on top

brown the chicken
add the rest of the ingredients
almost finished
arroz caldo

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. You can come over and cook for me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I love arroz caldo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love sinigang when i'm sick, but arroz caldo is so comforting, too! found this recipe via @filipinofood on twitter. i'll have to remember to make this when it gets colder out here.

    ReplyDelete